Saturday, April 14, 2012

Why International?

Throughout our adoption process, 2 months to the day, we have had numerous people share their opinions, concerns, and thoughts on the fact that we should be adopting from the US (Domestic Adoption), "our OWN country" and not Internationally. In these last 2 months, I cannot even begin to give you a number of people that have made this statement to us. I'm not going to lie, this breaks my heart a little. Not on a personal level, but just as a Christian, makes me sad. Below is why...

 See... my thoughts on this are in regards to the verse:
Romans 12:4 Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function.

I feel that each Christian has their own "function" or calling. Some are to be pastors, missionaries, teachers, adoptive parents, foster parents, counselors, worship leaders, servants... etc. All of these different callings or desires God has specifically given each of us personally, what is for you isn't what He has in store for me. What is my "function" isn't for someone else. Everyone plays their own role to fulfill His purpose for His kingdom. I feel this applies as well to where you are called to adopt from, whether it be China, Ethiopia, Russia, US, Haiti, and so on. In God's eyes... they are ALL his children! Every single one of them! His desire is that all of them have someone to love and care for them. If everyone adopted from China and it was the only place, imagine all the children all over the world that would be left with no one to care for them. But instead, God amazingly calls us to a variety of places, and meets the needs of a variety of children through each adopting family. I think that is incredible!!! Does my heart break for every single orphan? Yes, definitely! I wish I could do something for every single one of them, but I can't! God has equipped other people to go forth to all of these places that he has specifically placed on their hearts to do that. Just as he has called me to Ethiopia! I never would dream of telling another person that Ethiopia is the only place to adopt from, and that they must adopt from Ethiopia. Because they may not be called to Ethiopia, or even Africa for that matter. God leads us where he wants us, and I truly do not believe it is just for the sake of the child. I know for a fact, that when we make our trip to Ethiopia to go to our child, our lives will be impacted just by the travel to the country! God may have something amazing for us there, and some very big eye opening experiences for Daniel and I while we are there. Our adoption has the ability to impact so much more than just us or our child, and by us going somewhere to adopt that God has not led us....it could change ALL of that. Change our future, or even yours by being a part of it all... maybe there is something about our adoption that God wants you to see and include you in as well. Us choosing US when we aren't called to could take away your blessing as well. This is simply my heart... to do as He has called us, I don't know his plans for our adoption. I can only trust that He is using my obedience for something specific to meet His purpose.

This is just something that has been on my heart, and I want people to see the truth. I know that you think you are helping the children in the US by pushing people who are called to adopt to adopt from here. But really you may be robbing them of their purpose. Sit back, and enjoy the ride... trust God that He has not led us astray, and realize that your "opinions" could lead someone in the very wrong direction for them, and they could miss their "function" or calling and miss out on something so much more that God has for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment